All registered staff and students, excluding short-course students, of the Universities of Cape Town (UCT), Stellenbosch (SU) and the Western Cape (UWC) and the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) are considered CHELiN members and may access the CHELiN libraries free of charge to use the materials within the libraries.
Access to CHELiN libraries is by means of staff and student card, although specific institutions may issue additional library access cards where access is controlled electronically.
● All CPUT libraries are accessible to CHELiN members free of charge subject to positive identification with a valid identification document (photo identification is essential).
● All SU libraries are accessible to CHELiN members free of charge subject to positive identification with a valid identification document (photo identification is essential). During the 1st exam period the SU Library is accessible for SU staff, SU students and CHELiN borrowers only. See CHELiN guide and Library Hours.
● At UCT, the Chancellor Oppenheimer Library and the Bongani Mayosi Health Sciences Library are accessible to all CHELiN members. UCT’s Law Library may only be accessed by staff, LLM and doctoral students from CHELiN institutions.
● During examination periods; 2 weeks prior to mid-term exams; and 3 weeks prior to end-of-term exams NO ACCESS for students not registered at UCT, except for formal CHELiN borrowers.
● Mid- and final year examination periods; NO ACCESS for students not registered at UWC, 2 weeks prior to the start of the Examinations, except for formal CHELiN borrowers.